The 85-mile long, 3-foot narrow-gauge Eureka & Palisade was built between the two townships between 1873 and 1875 in order to connect the silver and lead mines around Eureka with the new Transcontinental Railroad. Like most mining-related narrow-gauge railroads of Nevada, the line's fortunes followed the boom and bust cycle in mining. The road struggled financially, and went through reorganization several times, becoming the Eureka & Palisade Railway, and then Eureka Nevada Railway.
By 1910, mining was on an upswing, and so were the fortunes of the little E&P. Up to 200 tons of ore a day were hauled by the line to Palisade where it was transferred to the Southern Pacific and taken to smelters in Salt Lake City.
The company survived just a bit longer than the Nevada Central, and when it was finally closed in 1938 it was the last narrow-gauge line operating in Nevada. With the railroad's closing, there was no reason for there to be a town at this lonely spot, and it all but disappeared into the weeds.
|On the far side of the freight shed can be seen a coach and a couple of locomotives of the narrow-gauge Eureka & Palisade.|
|Built in 1884, this two-story building served as offices for both the Central Pacific and the Eureka & Palisade/Eureka Nevada|
Standard-gauge tracks are on this side of the building, the narrow-gauge tracks are on the far side.
Photos and memories of the town can be seen here.
|The site of Palisade, Nevada, as it appears today along the Union Pacific main line.|